*disclaimer - nostalgic post = long winded. You've been warned. :) *
"It still feels like home". Joel and I always say this as we're driving past that last dark hill that approaches our hometown of Boise, the lights just starting to show on the horizon. Of course, it's almost always dark when we arrive since it's a 5 hour drive from Salt Lake that we usually begin after he gets off work. :) It used to bother me how much it still felt like home. Shouldn't I be getting those feelings for my 'now' home, Salt Lake? I've arrived at the conclusion that it will only feel that way once we've left it for good (if we ever do). Boise is where both of us grew up. It's where I had my first job. First heartbreak. First real-life trials. First true love. It's where I married that true love. Where our first 2 babies were born. Our first house purchased. Our (almost) Alma Mater the Broncos. You could say we have more than a million memories tied up in that little river town, so yeah, I'm just going to embrace it...it still feels like home! :)We got to experience that welcome feeling the week after Christmas this year. We had intended to take the day after Christmas to gear up, and then head out Tuesday morning. And by gear up, I mean put away Christmas explosion and do the laundry that had been neglected for three days, which for a family of 7 is monumental. But in a fit of missing my Momma on her birthday the 26th, we decided to drive down Monday. It took us until 2pm to actually leave, but we made it in time to cross that threshold of Boise that approaches Micron and the Winco Distribution Center with that familiar feeling of "It still feels like home!" We stopped and grabbed a German Chocolate cake for the Momma (her fave) and arrived just in time to have a late dinner and birthday celebration with some of the fam. (And realized too late that the diet Mom is excelling at doesn't allow German Chocolate Cake...oops, so sorry for the temptation Momma)! The next day (who am I kidding, the rest of the week...!!!), we slept in while grandma tended to the kiddos needs. We played a lot and then decided it was time to get out of the house...but what to do in the lull that is the days right after Christmas? We decided it might be fun to go tour the Capitol Building. I grew up performing there with the choir every Christmas season, and hadn't seen the new renovation that was finished in 2010. So we packed up and headed out. It's still amazes me that such a 'po-dunk' farmer state has such an impressive Capitol. The kids loved pretending to be Senate or House representatives. I just enjoyed the beautiful architecture and views of my city from the windows, and spending time with my Momma. :)
We got to have our new cousin Cassie with us for a few days while we were there, and it was fun for the girls to spend some time getting to know each other and doing what girls do.... :) Here's one of them wearing their coincidental matching coats and striking poses.
That night, all of my family was able to come over to celebrate Mom's b-day proper style, and we just enjoyed catching up and hanging out.
The will-power of that woman! She let all the grandkids eat her b-day cupcakes! ;)
Baby Lara's growing up too fast!
Joel was in heaven 'cuz he finally had men to talk huntin' with. ;) I think he forgets what he's getting himself into with my family of outdoors-men...lots of swappin' stories going on. :) They may not follow contact sports like my honey does, but give them an animal to catch, and they're game!!! (Brothers, I love you guys, but do you realize how hill-billy we sound?? :)
The next day, my SIL Lynette took the kids for us while Joel and I snuck away for lunch and some shopping. (which ended up being a date with Amelia and Ellie because they were having a rough day. ;) After lunch we went swimming with Lynette and most of the cousins (we wish you had been feeling better Lara!), and then went home to enjoy some yummy pizza and Jeopardy time with Mike, Mom and Dad. We got the kids down to sleep, and Mike suggested we sneak out to get Jack In the Box Tacos...so we did. Num-yummy, what a throwback. We sat and talked for-ev-er in the dining room, and really enjoyed catching up and getting to know each other again. He was so little when we got married, that I kind of feel like I'm getting to know him for the first time. I love you little brother! And your taste in design is impeccable!!!
Thursday, Mike took Joel and I to lunch at Mai-Tai while Grandma and Grandpa took the kids to McD's. (oo-la-la. I can still taste the curry and sushi. Heaven. Thanks again Mikey!) and then we walked around downtown Boise where Joel and I met and fell in love. *sigh* Our little restaurant has been through several changes since our days there, and we were happy to see that it's back in the hands of a capable restaurant called 'Fork' that seems to have brought it back to life. No more stinky bars for our Idaho building! Then, of course, we had to venture into Anthropologie across the street - where I browsed, and the boys checked out the mechanics and engineering of the display furniture. ;) Joel made me pretend like I was getting my picture taken so that he could have a copy-pic of these shelves...I was too busy eying the kitschy owl cookie jar... apparently. I'm trying to decide if these shelves would look awesome in our kitchen (someday) reno. Kind-of actually digging the modern flare in them. Who knew.
Interesting side note: while on our outing, I told Mike about pinterest and how he could research 'rustic wood' on there...apparently I am to blame for him becoming an addict now. You're welcome Mikey. :)

Afterwards, we found ourselves in Urban Outfitters, the younger version of Anthro, and I had to giggle at the boys getting en-'grossed' in the Awkward Family Photo's book. :) It became a game for them to find the worst picture to outdo that last one, and then laugh heartily at the absurdity of them. Good times.
That night, we went out to Joel's parents' so that we could visit with a future Tahitian missionary and his family. We brought Joel's mission pictures and spent probably 2 hours talking about Joel's mission. He was in his element. It was so fun to see him light up talking about the people, the land, and the culture. The missionary sat there and absorbed all of what Joel was telling him. He was a quiet kid who reminded me of what Joel might have been like pre-mission. I'm excited to hear how his experience goes. :) My Mom and Dad and Annie and Dennis were there and thoroughly enjoyed the evening as well. It ended with me doing Just Dance 3 with Ellie and Haddon to keep them quiet while the rest of them visited, only to realize that the room had gone quiet while everyone watched and tried to giggle quietly....I guess my dancing chased everyone off, 'cuz that broke up the party. ;)Friday, Mom had to go back to work, so Dad took us to visit my grandparents at their new assisted living place. It was good to see them, since their health is getting worse by the day, and I don't get to visit with them very often. Grandma had never met Amelia, and was completely smitten by her. While there, the kids noticed that a Kestrel, a somewhat rare bird native to Idaho, had perched on the balcony outside the window, so they spent a good amount of time watching it until it flew away. Afterward, we had planned to visit my Mom's parents, but Amelia and Paige both had meltdowns, so we headed back home to put them down for naps. Joel and Haddon decided it would be a good time to sneak away to do some shooting with the dog, so they left for a few hours during naptime. Once we got the girls down to sleep, Dad had fallen asleep too, so I kind of milled around a bit, and then decided to surprise Mom with a living room makeover. Lest you think I go around rearranging everyone's house that I stay in, I don't, just my Mamas. ;) She had been talking about how she'd love to put out her formal dining table, so I set to work making it happen. It was kind of cathartic since I love me some decorating. :) I got it all done in about two hours...including moving (my) piano to another wall...yeah, I get in the zone and you can't tell me no. :) Mom squealed with excitement when she walked in to find it all done. Yay. (Too bad I forgot to take pics...) We fully enjoyed the rest of the evening just visiting with Mom, Dad, and Mike. Yet another late night...so we ALL slept in one last time, and then packed up and headed home. It was a heavenly and relaxing week spent enjoying the people we love most - thanks to our family We miss you all dear familia!!!









No comments:
Post a Comment