So, without further adieu, the details! Each guest arrived at Number 12 Grimmauld Place, and was told that Olivander had sent over a fresh batch of tester wands - aspen wood of course - for beginners. They had to 'let the wand choose them' - which translated into each boy picking up every one to see if it was 'the one' - the funny part was that they really took it seriously - no one wanted their wand mixed up with the others' wands.
After spells practice, they got to go to potions class. Each was given a mixing cup and straw with which to concoct their potions from ingredients like 'Pureed Jobberknoll Feathers' and 'Aqua Fortis'. They had to write what their potion would do on the labels of their potion bottles, so as not to confuse any would be potion-takers! (The potion ingredients were all edible candies and powerade, soda, or juices). The boys thought this was really fun - they didn't want to stop brewing!
Next up was a game of Muggle Quidditch. The house teams were chosen, of course, by the sorting hat - and we ended up with 4 Griffindors and 4 Hufflepuffs.
4 'golden snitches' were hidden in the backyard, and the seeker team was up to find the snitch. The opposing team was supposed to try to find the snitch before the seeker team could. It really ended up being an all out game of tackle...quidditch. :) Of course, what 8 year old wouldn't like that?
We topped it all off with pumkin pasties, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and homebrewed butterbeer. A literal feast for young and old wizards alike! Yum!
Oh. And the youngun's went home with a little treat I had shipped in from the Hogwarts Express Candy trolley...:) (Can you tell I was winding down by this point...no chocolate frogs or Bertie Botts Beans. Geesh. What kind of Harry Potter fans are we???)
Some of the party goers moments after they got to use their spells for reals on a death eater who tried to crash the party (aka Joel). It's not obvious they had a blast or anything. ;) Happy Belated Birthday Kiddo!!!

Angie- You're (Haddons) Party sounds like it was a blast... Reading all about it made me wish I could of come. I love Harry Potter! Way to go, and now I know who to turn to when I need an Amazing Party idea! Oh, and Happy Birthday Haddon... a little late.
ReplyDeleteWow that looks so fun! I may have to get your ideas when Aleks is bigger and we read Harry Potter together. Those were really good ideas!
ReplyDeleteYou seem like the most fun Mommy around. Party planning really seems to be your calling. You truly are impressive. I'm sure Haddon and the kids will never forget the birthday times that you have helped them share. Love Ya!!! and miss you too. :)Nicci
ReplyDeleteWOW! I had to come find this post 'cause I was just informed that Dev wants a Potter party in 2 weeks... Yikes!
ReplyDelete