Saturday, August 16, 2008

Off to College

While the boys were out last night, the girls and I walked over to redbox, and picked up a couple of videos. Ellie chose 'College Road Trip' with Raven, and I decided that I could probably find something else to do rather than watch it with her...but she was having none of that. So we watched it together. At the end of the movie, there's a touching little part where Raven goes off to college, and everyone is happy-sad. I looked over at Ellie and she was crying. We hugged, and she seemed fine, so I sent her off to get ready for bed. I quickly realized that she was taking too long in the bathroom, and went to check on her, only to find her sobbing in the corner on the floor. The following conversation ensued:
Me: What's wrong???
Ellie: I'm sad!
Me: Why are you sad??? (While scooping her up in my arms)
Ellie: She went off to school.
Me: Oh sweetie, it's okay, they were happy in the end.
Ellie: Well I'm not!
Me: But, you have years until you go away to school....
Ellie: But,(sob), YOU SAID SCHOOL STARTS IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS!!!! (Complete breakdown here).

***I'm so intuitive!*** It took me a good half hour to calm her down and convince her that she would not be leaving home for school. Mommy would pick her up from school every day, that college is a lot different from elementary school, and that she really would love kindergarten. She has the same teacher that Haddon had last year, in the same room, and at the same place we went every day last year. It worked to calm her down, and I think my minor disaster was diverted for the first day of school. Hopefully. If you see me with a sobbing child at the doors to the school, you'll know why!!!

5 comments:

  1. I just cried reading that!
    We rented that movie with the "Rock".... it was a Disney movie about football and a suprise daughter? I cannot recall the name! Anyways, we watched as a family and in the part where she can over hear the aunt and Rock speaking in the hospital room and starts cryining...... so did my Natalie! I have never seen her react that way to a movie. Makes ya think! Glad Ellie is such a tender heart! We need more in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is so sweet and sad at the same time. Poor Ellie, of course her mommy wouldn't let her go away! I love that girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, how sad! She is so sweet!
    Are you getting sad about kindergarten? I cried th whole week before school started last year - I am hoping 1st grade is a liitle easier for me! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think going through it last year is making it easier right now. :) I was doing fine until this little incident!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Ellie! Give her kisses and hugs for us please!!!

    ReplyDelete