(It's a long one for me, consider yourself warned. :)
It's official. My little guy is a little man. He's a big bad first grader at a brand new school. He started the magnet program at his new school this week. It's a combined 1st/2nd grade class, and they have apparently already hit it pretty hard. He's had homework each night so far! They even went on a field trip to learn about rocks yesterday. I think Joel and I were both more nervous than he was about the new school experience. Monday morning I asked him if he was nervous, and his response was "Nope." When we arrived, I hauled all of the kids out of the car to escort him to his room. He was eager to get in line, and was only a little nervous around the other kids. His teacher came to collect them, and the parents were invited in to sign a field trip permission slip. From there on, he didn't even look back. As I was dragging the girls out of the classroom, I looked back to see him staring expectantly at his teacher. Not so much as a wave...sob...He's such a mature little boy that I have to remind myself to be excited for his new experiences. I just want him to stay little forever!!! Which brings us to Day 3. I came to pick him up at 3:15, only to find a sick little boy (!?!ALREADY!?!), who had had a pretty rough day because of it. He didn't know that he could tell the teacher he was ill. Poor guy! Even with a high fever and chills, he is begging us to not make him stay home tomorrow. I don't think it's going to happen! Tonight was back to school night, so I left the sick(ies) with Joel, and went to sit at his little desk while the teacher explained the curriculum and all that is required of the kids. I had to laugh at the puppet he made in art class today. It was supposed to be a likeness of him. The puppet has blonde hair and green eyes, is wearing a shirt that says "I love PS2", and is holding a game controller in one of its hands. (Insert heavy sigh here). My little boy. I did have a little shock when the principal announced during the general assembly that the lockdown the school had had during class today (WHAT?!?) was "not a false alarm or a drill. There was a hostile individual who had to be restrained by the police, and the safety of our kids was their top priority". Haddon had not even known something happened. I know we can't shelter them all of their lives, but it would be nice while they are still little!!! At any rate, he's loving school and looking forward to the party they get to have on Friday "if everyone behaves all week".

waht a cute little guy! Isn't is strange to have him gone all day? It is for me! rachel keeps asking if we can go get him cause she's bored! How is Ellie doing in Kindergarten? Oh my, we are getting old! How scary about the lock down!
ReplyDeleteWow, I thought my first week was rough! At least we didn't have a lock down! We did however, have a mis-communication with the bus barn, and they didn't send a bus to bring Devin home from his 1st day of kindergarten! Poor Boy!!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe Karina and Haddon are old enough for 1st grade!! It seems like yesterday we were comparing notes on who was walking and how many words they were saying! :D
Sounds like Haddon's doing great, but Mom's having the difficult time. Sounds awfully familiar. I hope he is feeling better. How is Ellie enjoying school? It's crazy having two gone, but I have to say the house is nice and quiet.
ReplyDeleteSIck? My nephue Dallas got sick his 1st week too! Maybe all the excitement!
ReplyDelete