Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer Time...

What's up with the weather??? It does not even resemble 'summer' - can we get some shorts weather already??? I actually found myself savoring the heater on my feet this morning. Enjoyable in February maybe, but June? Also, isn't time supposed to slow down in the summer? They used to be called the Lazy days of summer, right? Maybe that only applies to the kiddos who don't have school. I just feel like we've been going non-stop since Haddon got out of school. This week has been fun, but crazy.

Joel's 30th birthday was Sunday. There was no crying or crazy midlife activity to speak of, luckily ;). We did have Mom, Dad, and Adam Hallberg down for the weekend. Adam wanted to do something fun for Joel, so we secretly put signs out on the street that said 'Honk if you think 30 is old - Happy B-day Joel!' I really didn't think that anyone would even bother to honk. I was wrong. All day long we had cars honking. So fun! Joel was a good sport and didn't even complain, even when everyone at church knew it was his 30th, and kept congratulating him on getting to that ripe old age. All in all, we enjoyed a lazy weekend with the fam (Even though the kids and I had a nasty cold...again!) and when it was time for them to leave, we talked 9 year old Uncle Adam into staying with us for the week. I've tried to be really good and do fun activities every day, but things kind of wound down today - we stayed in our pj's until noon, watched movies, and played video games (on a day other than Friday!). I guess that does sound kind of fun now that I think about it. Score one more for Andge! Maybe tomorrow will have to be the 'no-fun' clean the house day.

I did have to laugh when Joel came home for lunch one day earlier this week. The house was trashed, the baby was crying, I was making cookies, and the kids were painting some crafts. He picked up the baby, looked around and said "I don't mean to offend you, but your house is a mess!" I think I was a little offended. Usually I try to keep the house clean, but we were having fun. My response to him was a little too quick. "I'd like to see how you do with 5 kids and a cold!" He was right...the house was a mess,and after he left back to work, I did clean up the mess. But this empowered woman of the future didn't like feeling like a 1950's wife! It's OK honey, I still love you - just please don't ask me to bring you your slippers and the paper while I serve you dinner on a silver platter and keep the children quiet, K?

***Side note: I don't want anyone to think I don't appreciate my husband. I do! He is my rock. He works hard for us - and I love him for that!***

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Joel and you are an amazing mother, so no worries, a house is supposed to get messy every once in a while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Joel! Angie I think you are right about summer only slowing down for the kids. It seems summer only gets busier for us every year. Even though it's busy I will still enjoy the nice weather once it finally gets here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time Joel gives you crap about your house being a mess, send him to mine. It is typically 10 times worse than I have EVER seen your house!

    ReplyDelete