Today was your first day of first grade. My mommy heartstrings are stretched pretty thin as think about your little body navigating those halls in a big way - in an all day way. I really didn't think at all about how I would feel today, but really, what did I expect? I was the same way on this day for Haddon and Ellie. And I'm pretty sure I'll be the same with Paige, Amelia and your unborn sister someday. I'm kind of a wreck if I let myself think about you too much right now. The summer weeks leading up to today have been filled with fun and exciting activities, but every night as we leave your bedside after prayers, kisses and hugs, you have crept out holding your blankie to your face, sobbing into it about how you're scared to go to first grade. Lots of hugs and reassurances have been issued. You know the school. You know lots of the kids in your class. Mrs. L. will still be at the school. It will be so exciting to eat lunch with your friends...and so on. The affirmations would work for the night, but the very next night, you'd be right back out with the same concerns. Yesterday during sacrament I sat praying for an answer to help ease the fears and concerns you had on your first day. And just like it always does, an answer came. A small and simple reminder that your Daddy should give you a father's blessing. How could I have forgotten? Every year since Haddon started school we have done this the night before. A priesthood blessing of comfort and reassurance straight from your Daddy and our Heavenly Father. YES. Our afternoon and evening stretched out before us. I was a bit cranky after a long day alone with all of the kiddos. Daddy finished his church duties at about 4 pm, to return with a splitting headache. He needed to rest for a bit. We enjoyed a special back to school dinner, next-day preparations were made with baths, clothes being laid out, backpacks being packed, and lunches prepared. Finally, at bedtime, the family gathered around as Dad laid his hands upon each child's head to give each of them a blessing. The Spirit settled upon all of us in an amazing way. Special words of comfort and instruction were uttered, and each child beamed as their prayer finished. Today, as the day began, there was not a tear to be found. You bounded down the stairs dressed and ready to start your new adventure. I tested the waters a bit by asking how you felt about today. Your answer was 'Excited'. (Wahoo!) As we got to your school, I walked you up to the doors and gave you and Ellie both a big hug and a kiss. You caught my gaze with an intentional clear-eyed smile. You were going to be fine. I'm just so filled with gratitude for your strong spirit, despite all of the concerns you had. I'm even more grateful for a loving Husband who was worthy to place his hands upon your head last night and speak those words of comfort. And mostly, I'm grateful to a Father in Heaven who loves you. Who knew how to calm your fears even when her mama couldn't. I thought you might want to read about this someday and know that from a young age he knew and loved you. And so do I. xoxoxo!


No comments:
Post a Comment