I have been a mad woman this week...in a good way. I finally figured out what was causing my winter doldrums: Stuck inside + no sunshine + 7 people under one roof + 5 years in the same house. This is the longest we have ever been in one place. Which means I've always been prone to purging all of our
crap stuff at least bi-yearly in order to pack up and move. Apparently, when it's been 5 years, even if you try to keep a clean house, those piles of junk somehow creep into the recesses of the closets and hiding places, and add up. I swear I've made 4 trips to the DI donation bay in the last 4 weeks...and after cleaning the food/storage room today, I need to make another one! I noticed some cleaning schedules on Pinterest last week, and decided I should compare my usual routine to what others were doing. :) I usually sweep, mop, wash windows, etc. But this one had 'go through boxes and purge' on the list. I don't think I've done that since we moved in, so, now, I'm a woman on a mission. My goal is to do at least one thing on my list daily, until I either finish the list, or warm weather finally hits and we call it 'good enough'. (We'll see how gung-ho I get...:) I'm kinda proud though - yesterday I tackled Haddon's room. He has had a new mattress...sitting on the floor...for at least a year. I went and got a full-size bed frame, deep cleaned his room, and put it all back together. Check one room off the list! Today, it was our little boiler room/food storage/crap storage room. I cleared it all out, vacuumed/swept the cobwebs, inventoried our food storage, rearranged my canning supplies, and purged all of the boxes for DI/garage/crawl space storage. Now I am faced with the somewhat daunting task of purging my craft stuff that has been crammed in there since we moved Haddon into the basement room...fabric storage ideas anyone??? That one still has me stumped. There's just something about the arrival of spring that makes me want to make everything sparkly clean and organized...let's hope I can keep up the momentum. :)
I went with
this website's checklist for some guidance...a few of my favorites that I probably wouldn't have thought of:
* Organize boxes by holiday, room, or person in the household.
* Go through old boxes and donate what you no longer need.
*Garage (comprehensive list - I don't think I've EVER included garage in my spring cleaning)...
*File papers in proper places, cleaning out drawers and creating a functioning desktop.
*Go through coupon box and throw away expired coupons.
*Clean the microwave (Okay, I probably would have done that one, but I needed a reminder...it's one of those tasks that's easy to forget).
So, here's to a clean house and a sunny disposition about it getting done! Feel free to ask me how it's going...I might need the accountability. :)
I love this post! Cleaning things out is so much fun. My mom just came for a visit and we did a whole bunch of that. Keep it up. I have a move in 2 months that will help me de junk even more!
ReplyDelete