The day of his birthday was a Sunday, and Grandma and Grandpa Thueson were visiting for the weekend because of a cousin's wedding. They had taken him the day before to pick out his gift, which was, of course, a full arsenal Nerf gun. Before church, I presented him with a Darth Vader alarm clock, and a stack of classic mystery novels (Frankenstein, The Time Machine, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde). This boy still loves to read! He was happy with them, but I could tell he was a bit disappointed...which is why church couldn't end fast enough for me! We rushed home and got a big lunch ready. During lunch, Joel brought out 'THE' gift. Grins from ear to ear. On both of them. Lots of talk from me and grandma about how not to use the gun, i.e. on your sisters, in the backyard, at all! Joel of course was the proud papa straight out of the movie, beaming when Haddon loaded the barrel with bb's and begged to let him shoot it just once in the backyard. Literally, I had a moment of terror when I realized my baby was about to go shoot a weapon. I couldn't watch, until Joel made me look out the kitchen window to see what was going on...
It was kind of adorable, for what it was. For the record, the girls were all safely in the house, and we made sure he was shooting away from anything that could be injured/damaged. Once again, Joel was a proud papa when Haddon shot a bb straight through the target and they found it lodged in the new fence behind. (yikes). The following weekend, Joel took Friday off so that the two of them could go on a proper hunting overnight trip...they didn't get anything, but Haddon got to shoot to his hearts content, and both mighty hunters came home thrilled the next day from their adventure. And no eyes have been shot out, so I guess my worry was for nothing! ;) Happy birthday to my 10 year old mighty hunter...It's official, I'm raising a kid that's ALL BOY.



Haddon is 10!?!!! Wow, I haven't seen you in long time! Happy birthday Haddon!!! You have a brave mommy :)
ReplyDelete