Friday, January 7, 2011

Faux Chenille Baby Blanket

I've had this finished for a while now, but thought I'd share the how to.  There's a million tutorials on the internet for how to do this, so I'll just give the general idea.  I started with four layers of flannel fabric, cut to roughly the size I wanted the blanket.  Then I pinned them together for a temporary baste, and started sewing straight lines 1/2inch apart from each other.  (Start in the middle and work out - from diagonal corner to corner). Have patience...this part takes the longest.  
When you're finished sewing the lines, square up the quilt.  Then take a sharp pair of scissors, and insert it onto 3 layers of the fabric, and cut the entire length, making sure that you don't catch the bottom piece of fabric. Do this to every line.  Add your binding.  
It will look like this...Now, wash and dry it about 4 times...it just gets better with each wash!
And then anxiously await the arrival of your new little one so she can try it out...but in the meantime, let the siblings enjoy it for a photo op!  (And yes grandmas, Syd did want me to make sure you noticed her new hair cut...)  :)

1 comment:

  1. That is so beautiful! I have no idea how you made it.....but I love it!

    ReplyDelete