Thursday, November 18, 2010

"Mom, so what about this Santa thing?"

The boy started asking questions last year.  I asked him if he wanted the truth...and he clammed up.  Nope, not ready.  I knew it was coming...but I still wasn't ready for it!  Last week, we were poring over a toy ad that came with the paper, when he asked THE question...

Insert long (teary on my part) pause here.  I looked him in the eyes and said "Do you REALLY want to know" in hushed tones.

"No...NO!...um....well...." (pause)  "Okay, yeah, I want to know Mom.  Some of my friends say he's not real.  It's you and dad, isn't it???"  with his adorable crooked smile.  It was kinda like he was conspiring with the Mona Lisa. :)

I died.  He's growing up too fast.  He now knows.  And guess what?  It wasn't as terrible as I imagined.  He seemed relieved, and then told me how now it all makes sense.  Too many things just didn't add up in his mind.  So. Stinkin'. Smart. (For his own good!)  I may not like him growing up so fast, but it's probably good for me to have these little experiences, however much it pains me!

No comments:

Post a Comment