Thursday, October 21, 2010

Haddon Loves Legos!

So I offered to throw him a Lego birthday party.  He was in heaven, even though I procrastinated pulling together the details!  I spent a couple hours the day before the party making party decorations and treats, but luckily it turned out pretty well.  That's if 9 happy boys are any way to rate a birthday party!
If you're interested, here are the details!
We hung up our birthday wreath (a MUST tradition in our house), and went with a Lego Olympics theme...
 We rounded up every Lego publication we could find between Haddon's shelves and the local libraries' shelves, and the boys looked at all the awesome Lego creations on their pages while we waited for the guests to arrive. (Haddon is a Lego-club member, so there was plenty to peruse from his monthly magazines, not to mention the cool books the library has...I may have gotten lost in them as well after the party!)
If they got bored with the books, we let them build anything their little hearts desired for about 15 minutes...
kind of a prep-time for the Olympians!
Then the 'Olympians' started their competitions.  They split into two teams by choosing one of 2 different color Lego's from a bowl.  The first event was The Lego-Spoon walk.  They had to walk a tower of Legos balanced on a spoon across the yard to their waiting team-mates, who had to do the same, until each player had had a turn.  We had one boy too few, so Joel got to join in the fun. (heh-heh!) The boys got SO competitive - it was great fun to watch.
 Then the teams had to drop a Lego piece from their nose into a minifigure can.  The team that made the most shots was the winner.
 For the final Olympic game, we gave the teams 15 minutes to build a vehicle that 
could race their opponents' creation.  The boys had a blast doing this...
 MANY pieces to choose from...
 Then we took it to the driveway for the ultimate race...unfortunately, one of the teams had technical difficulties with their complicated design...but eventually figured it out, and they were able to race.  Haddon's team won...I guess there's something to be said about simple design!
 Then we had Lego cake and ice cream.  I just cut 2 rectangles and 2 squares out of a 9x13 cake, put cut-in half marshmallows on top, and then frosted them all to resemble Lego bricks.  
(This part was NOT for the faint of heart!  Whew, glad it's over!)  
Then we opened gifts...which were mostly Lego sets, much to the birthday boys' delight!
We wrapped it up by awarding each boy with a gold medal 
and Olympian's loot bag, complete with lego-like candies and the info on how
to become a Lego-club member.  

Happy 9th Birthday Haddon! We are so proud of the sweet, intelligent boy you are growing up to be! I only hope the Lego phase has slowed down by next year, 'cuz we're being overrun by them now! :)

In all, it turned out great for how little time I spent on this one...let's hope the next birthday child wants something fun again. I'm always up for a challenge!!! (Although, now that I think about it, Paige will have hers next...one week after the baby is born. 3 year-olds don't need themed parties, right, right??) 

1 comment: