You need one, you see.
For your shop.
I seem to have a hard time with names of my online domains. I've never much cared for the title of this little blog, but it stuck, and so I went with it. But the startup of my etsy seems so much more important. Who knows, it could be the little seed that grows into something much bigger. We even went to a few crafters-malls yesterday to try to glean some ideas, and I have to say, the booths that weren't named seemed so unprofessional, so unfinished. So I think I need to pick a name so that I don't blend in with the crowd. That's where you guys come into play. I need to pick your brains. I have a few survey-type questions for you, if you don't mind. :)
1. What do you look for in a boutique/shop name? (That is, if you look for boutiques...)
2. Is cutesy the way to go, or not?
3. Should the name match the products that are being sold? (Which would vary greatly in my shop)
4. Does it really even matter?
5. Any ideas you'd be willing to part with????? :)
Thanks for participating. Just leave your answers in the comments below...I can't wait to see what you think. I've come up with a few, but I usually get laughed at when I share them with certain people who are on the inside (read: hubby). I guess I really do need help. My fam can tell you, it's been driving me nuts that I can't figure this one out. And, I figure, better now than never, right?

I'm thinking....I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
ReplyDeleteI definitely think the name is important. If I name doesn't speak to me then I often ignore the place. Because the items in your shop will vary so much look for a name that describes the/your style rather than be more specific. Any font or graphic you use with your logo can help make your statement too! If I have any other ideas I'll let you know! Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteName is important, and I agree with Holly that something about your name/style will be better since you do so many varied crafts. If you were doing just one thing, I think cutesy would work, but it would be harder to make it all work with variable products.
ReplyDeleteHere's the link I was telling you about a few days ago about this lady's experience with Etsy and setting up shop. Hopefully it will be helpful. http://thinkliz.com/2010/05/06/things-ive-learned-while-running-an-etsy-shop/
oh yay, i'm so happy you found me in blogland. it will be so fun to get to know you a bit better this way :).
ReplyDeletei am of little help when it comes to creative names. i am a fan of just doing something that is meaningful to you-- ie: think of favorite places, colors, names, talents, foods etc. and then see if you can put something together out of that. okay, for example, using my kids' names (or nicknames) i could do something like, "george's pea." and it is weird and strange, but people would remember it and it would be meaningful to me. anyyywayyy.... like i said, i am of little help :).
I think creative/quirky is the way to go for a name. Nothing too obvious to what you're selling...you have to grab people in with an interesting name and they will want to come into your shop to FIND OUT what you sell. One of my favorite website names of all time is "Two peas in a bucket" which has absolutely nothing to do with scrapbooking which is what they deal in, but is SO creative & quirky I just love it. It captured me right away. Or Piperlime, Red Pear, 6pm, etc. You might not know what it is by just reading, but it makes you want to find out.
ReplyDeleteWow, that was long. Sorry. :) Good luck!!!