Joel and I were able to attend an adult stake conference meeting the other night. (Thanks Andrea and Court!) Without littles to keep quiet, I was able to listen peacefully to the messages Elder Keech of the seventies and others presented to us. Which were awesome, by the way. :) My vantage point did not allow me to see the speakers very well, so my eyes were left to scan the congregation while I listened. For some reason, I have not been able to shake one sweet sight I witnessed. The time-worn hands of an elderly couple sitting down the row from me. I found that I couldn't look away as they sweetly held hands. I couldn't help but wonder how long those hands have held each other through out their life together. His hands swollen with arthritis undoubtedly from years of hard work. Her hands wrinkled and worn undoubtedly from years of tending to home and family. It was so sweet to see how they squeezed each others fingers, and assured, through touch, their love for one another. I'll admit I felt like I was intruding on something very private. But I couldn't help it. I look forward to that time with my husband. I love him so much, and as I look at my own hands, which are beginning to show their age, I'm grateful that his hands will be right there along with mine, weathered by the things of life, but together nonetheless!
Maybe it's the extra hormones, but I teared up reading this. What a wonderful sight, and I love your thoughts.
ReplyDelete