I follow this website pretty regularly, and when I saw that Lindsay was issuing a
$5.00 Spring dollar store challenge, I thought I'd give it a whirl.
'I'm crafty, and I'm decorating my new studio,
and I only have to spend $5.00. So why not???' I thought.
So off I went to my local Dollar Tree, and found four small cork boards in their office section. I could do something with these....so I gathered some scrapbook paper I had in my stash, and some old spray paint I had. The plan was forming!
Here's what I did:
I taped off the corkboard, and took them outside on the first nice day of the year.
(Be careful that you use low-tack tape - the cork is pretty thin on these!)
Then I gave them a couple good coats of my paint.
Krylon Bahama Sea Gloss paint to be exact. This matches some other projects I've been working on in my studio, so it's perfect!
While I waited for those to dry, I cut some 1" to 2" strips off my coordinating papers.
Time to make some flowers to embellish the boards with!
Then I cut all (except the green) strips into rough squares. This doesn't have to be perfect.
(Not sure why this pic keeps turning sideways...sorry!)
Each flower needs 3 colors - So I started tearing the squares into three graduated circles.
After those were done, I roughed up the circles by folding the edges up. You really can't mess this up!
And rolled that into a spiral, fastening with a dab of hot glue.
Then I tore out leaves from the green strips. Each flower ended up with these pieces.
(The spiral hasn't been fastened with glue yet in this photo)
Bring out your trusty glue gun...
And you have a cute flower to embellish your board with!
I played around with the layout of my flowers, and came up with this.
Hubby says it's more frou-frou than my norm. I kinda like them.
And here are the finished corkboards hung up.
I can't seem to hang anything straight/take a picture that isn't crooked - but they're cute anyways!
What do you think??? :)
I'm linking on March 25th!


I love it Ang! Its is such a cute/ simple idea! And it looks Great!! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteThose flower embellishments are really creative!
ReplyDeleteI love how those turned out. Especially the flowers you created.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
Wow! This is a paper crafters dream come true! What a sweet idea.
ReplyDeletethose are too cute! I love the little flowers.
ReplyDeletegail
Adorable! I love the ay you did the flowers, so very chic!
ReplyDelete