Friday, September 5, 2008

Harvest anyone?

Last Saturday, some of the families in our neighborhood organized a neighborhood farmers market. Everyone was supposed to bring their homegrown or homemade things to sell at a potluck breakfast in the street. The proceeds (which ended up being a little over $300) are going to be used for giving Christmas to a family in need. I thought it was a really cool idea, but I had just harvested all of my peas, the grapes are actually the neighbors', I didn't think that they needed any more zucchini...and my tomatoes looked really sick. See the brown icky plants in the back? Those would be my tomatoes. Grrr. I'm really frustrated with myself over this year's garden. I should have planned the beds more wisely - a lot of wasted space, and TOO MANY zucchini! (12 plants!) Instead of planting just what the garden center has in stock, I plan on thinking 'harvest' while planting next year! Well anyway, back to the farmer's market. I just assumed that we had nothing to share, and I ran out of time to make bread or jam. So we just went to socialize. While we were there, one of our neighbors was telling us that pears are supposed to be harvested now, while they are still hard. We have a pear tree, but I'm still new to fruit trees! Long story short, we came home and realized that we could indeed have donated quite a bit to the market. See? I guess I'll just have to share my bounty with the families in our neighborhood come Christmas time! I'm thinking pear butter, homemade marinara, zucchini bread, onion relish...the possibilities are endless. I know for sure that I'm going to be busy this next few weeks trying to preserve all of it! (Thanks for the website Mom!)
I took this of Ellie while picking grapes. Isn't she just gorgeous??? :)

2 comments:

  1. I gave up on my garden this year! It was just more than I could handle, so all that turned out was a few tomato plants. Oh well, there is always next year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dang dogs that would kill a garden sooooo fast! As soon as we but our next house I am making a dog run and a place for a garden!(And by me, I mean Jason ;) That is a wonderful idea for a neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete