Friday, May 16, 2008

Homemade Lasagna

Many who know me, know that I love to cook. Joel and I met in a restaurant where I was training to become a chef...therefore, many of my loved ones like to think I'm a great cook. I, on the other hand, think that there is much room for improvement. Let me illustrate to you an example of why I think this. The other night I was being really efficient. I had achieved all my goals for the day such as cleaning, errands, playing with the kids, etc. At about 4pm I decided I needed to make something really yummy for dinner. Homemade lasagna. Yum. So I started browning sausage, chopping onions, mixing cheeses, and assembling the scrumptious layers. What I didn't remember was that my ready cook noodles had been in the cupboard for quite some time...1 1/2 hours later, the lasagna was hot and bubbling in the oven. I pulled it out to rest while the kids greeted their dad. I threw together a salad, and we dug in to our homemade meal. A few moments of silence were followed by a long, uncomfortable silence as each family member tried to chew their not-so-scrumptious dinner. It took one sideways look from Dad to realize that I wasn't the only one who thought it tasted like a rubber boot. There is a show I like to watch on cable television called Dinner Impossible. The host has to make a meal under ridiculous circumstances, in a short amount of time, with limited supplies. In the end, if the dinner guests enjoyed the meal, it was a success. I most certainly would have failed this mission. And I have proof. This picture shows how much my family of six likes rubber boot lasagna.

Notice how much is left...and was deposited in the trash right after we adjourned. At least I can say I make a mean peanut butter and honey sandwich. The kids were ecstatic that I made them such a great meal...the second time around.

1 comment:

  1. How funny :) Kudos to you for trying though! Just the thought of making homemade lasagna intimidates me.

    ReplyDelete