"You're being awfully friendly with the busser today. Do you think he's cute?!"
"Sure he is" with a smile. "Aaaand, your point?"
"I think he likes you too. You should do something about that."
"Umm, isn't that what I've been doing all day? Besides, isn't it his job to make the next move?"
Her eyes twinkled and she gave me a knowing grin. "Say no more."
I remember my heart skipping a beat, and feeling a bit like a school girl who had just passed a tell all note to her best friend at school. I straightened my jacket and turned to leave, and ran smack into Mr. Manager. I hustled off trying to convince myself he hadn't overheard our entire conversation.
Apparently, he did though. For the next week Mr. Manager and my waitress friend put themselves in the role of the matchmakers Yente and Golde from Fiddler on the Roof. And Joel was their pairing for me. :) Good thing I didn't mind. I wish I could remember all of the details, but for the life of me I can't seem to. I do recall that there was a lot of back and forth bantering with the matchmakers, and Joel all the while was timid and sweet. All he had to do was flash the smile, and my knees went weak. The culmination of all of it was an awkward exchange between us that went something like this:
I was in the rarely used waiter station to make my beverage of choice, lemonade spiked with a mint tea bag and a shot of sprite. It was a bit of a process to make, so I was taking my time enjoying the quiet empty station. All of a sudden Joel appeared, rushing around the corner with a broken coffee pot dribbling hot liquid all over the place. As he was cleaning up the mess it had made, and I tried to get out of his way in the tiny space, we laughed about how odd Mr. Manager and waitress were acting. Then he blurted out "We should hang out sometime!"
Awkward silence as I processed what he just said. Then I sputtered "I'd like that. I can't tonight, but sometime soon would be great."
Both look at floor. Awkward silence. he says "Okay. Sometime soon...soooo, tomorrow???"
"Sure. Tomorrow it is then!" Then we both nervously finished up what we were doing and went back to our jobs. Somehow we managed to work out details for our date the next night, and we kept Mr. Manager and waitress in the dark about our plans. Little did any of us know that the rest of the story would be such a whirlwind.

I am so excited to hear the rest of the story! :)
ReplyDelete