Saturday, November 5, 2011

Perfection.


I try to strive for it, but recognize that I'll never, ever achieve it.  Take for example, two weeks ago.  Joel had taken the day off on a Thursday so that we could head to Boise for a long weekend. Before leaving, we had to get some maintenance things done (new tires and oil change) on the van.  I was at the tire store picking up the car, when Amelia started getting fussy.  I rifled through my bag to find her a toy, with no success, so I pulled out my travel size lotion, checked that the lid was on tightly, and handed it to her.  She loves to chew on the squishy but hard plastic while teething.  I've done it with all of my other babies.  We got the okay to leave, and I put her in the car without a thought about the bottle.  Bad move.  When we got home, I went to pull her out, only to find an open bottle in her mouth, "Num, nummy, mmnummy" coming from her mouth, and lotion ALL over the place.  CRUD.  I quickly got it away from her and whisked her up to the bath to clean up.  As I was bathing her, I noticed that she was acting a bit strange - kind of disoriented and, well, happy.  Not abnormal for her to be happy, but along with the disorientation, strange.  Joel was out running errands, so I panicked a bit.  Poison Control Center was on the line immediately.  I was worried about poisoning.  Do I induce vomiting? Rush her to the ER? Their response: "Nope.  Just monitor her closely...and feed her.   She can become intoxicated....Our concern is her blood alcohol level."

!!!!!????!!!!

I got my baby drunk.  (Never, EVER thought those words would come out of me).  We were to watch her closely, keep her awake for at least 3 hours, and nurse her as much as she was willing, in order to dilute the alcohol in the cocoa butter lotion.  ACK.  She ended up being fine when all was said and done.  Hallelujah.  But after the 3 hours was up, I was a bit of a nervous wreck. Joel was able to see the humor in the situation.  Me, not so much.  So here's to dispelling the myth that bloggers only portray the beautiful, perfection in their lives.  Nope. Not me. 

2 comments:

  1. I think you're perfect just the way you are! And we're glad Amelia was fine of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I knew not to let them play with hand sanitizer, but never would have thought lotion! Glad she's OK!!

    ReplyDelete