Monday, June 13, 2011

'Projects' on the Money Pit

So, I've been wavering as to whether or not I wanted to actually list all of the 'projects' we 'got' to do this last few months...but in the interest of laughing at it all in the future, I think I should list it here. So without further adieu, here they are in the order that they broke/exploded/died and we scrambled to fix them:

1. Our heater completely died at the end of March...when it was still snowing 6+ inches of snow outside. Fixed.
2. Discovered a little leak...which turned into gutting the basement bathroom and huge parts of the upstairs bath...including taking out the only linen storage cabinet in the house.  Still in progress.
3. Ran over a screw while driving to the store...big gash in the tire. (Not really house related...but totally sucked to have to deal with).  Replaced.
4. Discovered the back porch hose faucet had burst over the winter...under our kitchen sink.  Replaced.
5.Our fabulous microwave of 9 years gave up the ghost.  Replaced...(thank you Grandma Pat!)
6. (Ugh...this was the hardest one) Our 3-month old washer broke...and flooded all over our brand spankin' newly drywalled bathroom.  After 4 weeks of waiting on parts and doing laundry at the laundromat...Fixed.
7. While the repair guy was here, the 3 month old dryer started acting up too...which resulted in 4 weeks with no dryer either.  Fixed.
8. Wind storm knocked over our ancient fence.  We have 2 dogs, and 5 kids...we propped it back up with 2x4's.  It kind of resembles a village in the Swiss Alps in the heart of winter now....heh-heh. Even the dogs know not to bump the 2x4's unless they want to be squished by falling objects. Yet to be dealt with...this weekend though!
9. I guess the strain on the remaining working toilet was too much...it decided to act up...the flapper dealy thingy quit sealing, and the water continuously runs.  Fixed...but only after....
10.  Joel bought an entirely new flushing-mechanism and set out to replace it.  Should be easy peasy. The old parts were so corroded, that we had to go all the way back to the wall plumbing to get it out...and while trying to gently pry the part off, had the entire pipe break off INSIDE the wall...to leak down into...you got it...the brand spankin' newly dry-walled basement walls. Many murmurs later...and a big 'ole hole in the upstairs wall...and maybe a hysterical laughing fit on my part because of the absurdity of it all...Fixed.
11. I was cooking a special birthday dinner for Joel this week, and couldn't figure out why I kept stepping in water.  I soon realized it wasn't a spill...it was coming OUT of the floor.  The water line to the fridge had been pinched and was leaking.  I had exactly 30 minutes to get it turned off and cleaned up before Joel got home from work...there was no way I was letting him see another disaster on his birthday...I grabbed a bucket, turned off the water main, and disconnected the tubing from the fridge.  It's just a tiny tube...I should be able to turn the water back on to make dinner I thought...heh-heh.  I returned from turning on the water main to a cartoon-like snake of a tube spraying water all over my living room, kitchen, and upstairs hallway.  Joel walked in right at the moment where I had wrangled the tube and tied it off...I believe I was sitting on the stairs with water dripping off the ceiling onto my nose.  All he could do was laugh...hard.   This one will be fixed tomorrow...
12.  As for the kitchen floor...it's just gonna have to wait.  I think one couple can only handle so much...:)

So there you have it.  We really did buy The Money Pit.  But it's our money pit...and we kind of have a love/hate relationship.  Cross your fingers that it doesn't burn down next week.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, it's a good thing that you have wrote all these woes down. They really are quite funny although I'm sure you're not wholly laughing about them quite yet. Still, keep up the good attitude cause it really is quite contagious to those of us that see you laughing at all of your problems. After all we all have some sort of problem or another that we could be laughing about; have you seen my lawn!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's alot of stuff all at once. Hope nothing else goes wrong! Gotta love being a homeowner huh?

    ReplyDelete