Sunday, July 18, 2010

Where to start...

I've been avoiding the blog simply because it didn't seem like I had much to say.  We're going on week 8 of unemployment.  It's been a crazy rollercoaster, and it's starting to seem like it's never going to end.  It will though, it has to, right?!? Right!?!  

Really, we do know that at some point, it will end.  He will find work.  Some days, though, the negative thoughts overcome the positive ones, but for the most part, we're trying to stay positive.  Joel is still working like a mad man to find work.  And I'm working like a mad woman at keeping the kids occupied and happy.  It's been a unique summer so far, to say the least.  We've stayed busy doing things together as a family, and I'm enjoying the dual parenting having him home affords me.  (Wahoo! Someone else to take a turn changing the poopy diapers!!! Next week, maybe we'll tackle potty training! M-a-y-b-e...)  He asked the kids tonight what they were going to do once he went back to work, and he was met with blank, sad, stares.  They really love having him home and able to go for walks with them, or take them on hikes, or to the park, or take them camping...which we did on July 5th at Mirror Lake in the Uinta's.
  

It was absolutely beautiful, but most of the lake is surrounded by marshy low grounds, which made for a TON of mosquitos.Haddon and Paige looked like they were victims of the chicken pox when we returned. 
We put the kids right to work when we got there...gathering fire wood.  They REALLY enjoyed that part...:) or should I say, NOT-really. :)

Our campground was right next to the lake, and we enjoyed just being COLD and sitting around the campfire...since we are currently cursed in the air conditioning department... our home and vehicle are currently 'AC-free'.   Needless to say, it was nice to need to warm ourselves and goof around by the fire.


Paige spent most of her time playing in the woods right next to our tent.  She's quite the creative one.  She kept telling us she was eating 'treats', and then trying to share them with us... 


The older kids discovered a giant rock, that they spent most of their time climbing and playing games on. I caught them all sitting atop it...and couldn't resist a photo-op. Aren't they the cutest kids around???


The next morning, we hiked the perimeter of the lake, and enjoyed watching our ridiculous dog almost drown herself in the icy waters.  (She's not a very good lab...) Afterwards, we headed home, and stopped at the Upper Provo River Falls.  I'm loving Syd's face in this shot....but not so much my 'camping glam'  :)


Then we stopped at the Camas Fish Hatchery.  Unfortunately, it was closed to tours, but the kids still got to see the minnow pools through the windows...they thought it was pretty cool.

It looks like we might have to make a trip back to take the tour...we've got plenty of time!

3 comments:

  1. I still have that same hat too! Funny! Syd looks just like one of Joel's sisters. I dont't know which one! You do have the most beautiful kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that Joel is still out of work but it looks like you guys are having a great time :) Your pictures make me want to go camping. I LOVE the picture of your four kiddos together, what a darling shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll love that photo of the kids forever. I also love the first one of everyone down by the lake. Great lighting!

    ReplyDelete