A friend of mine clued me in to an amazing secret in the area. (Thank you Becca!) If you sign up with this food co-op, you can get amazing amounts of fresh produce for a screaming low price. It does take quite a bit of patience on the part of the buyer to navigate the website, and to drive to the pick up site, but I think it's worth it. I put my order in on Monday, and was so excited to go Saturday morning to pick up my loot...
If you live in the SLC area, or any of the other areas they service for that matter (Arizona, Julie!), I would DEFINITELY recommend checking into this! We were familiar with everything that came in the basket, except for the Swiss Chard. It seemed pretty delicate, so I figured I'd better use it up first. I did a little bit of research online, and found out that most people cook it as they would spinach...so that's what we did. The chef I used to work with at the restaurant taught me a little trick for cooking veggies. When you boil them in water, a lot of the nutrients go right down the drain with the water. To combat that, you cook it without the water. Pour a little bit of olive oil and minced garlic into the pan, cook until fragrant, and then add your rinsed and cut veggies. Toss them with
a pair of tongs until they are wilted, and then transfer them to your serving bowl. Works like a charm every time!
Here's the clincher. THE KIDS LOVED IT. Which is remarkable given our previous experience with cooked spinach...heh-heh. It is a lot sweeter than spinach, and slightly resembles the flavor of beets...and you can't go wrong with the pink stalks when you have 3 little girls!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment