Monday, May 4, 2009

30 minutes of chaos...

Let me set up the scenario for you. Ellie's ears have been giving her troubles again, so last minute I got her into the Dr. at 5 tonight. Joel came home a little early so that I could take her. I was starting dinner just as he came home, so the job was turned over to him as we ran out the door trying to beat rush hour. So this is what happened once we were gone:

Dinner involved dredging chicken breasts in raw egg and breading. He ran out of breading, and called me while we were waiting in the Dr's office. We talked for just a moment, and he was upbeat and excited to have dinner ready to impress when we got back. Woo hoo I thought!

Our appointment was rather quick (Ellie has an inner ear infection - $100 dollar meds - not woo hoo), so we were in and out in 30 minutes. From the moment I hung up the phone, apparently all heck broke loose at home.

Joel had his hands covered in egg/bread goo when Sydney started screaming from the bathroom. "I had an accident!" He struggled to finish up the chicken quickly, and rushed upstairs to find Sydney standing in wet pants with a huge puddle beneath her. Paige was very concerned about Syd crying, and walked straight into the puddle trying to get to her and console her. Joel rushed in to try to stop her, and Paige slipped, falling on her back, right in the mess. Mind you, Sydney is still screaming at this point. He picked up Paige and started to undress both girls to get them cleaned up and in the tub. At that point, a fully naked Paige tried to wriggle away, and slipped again, falling fully into the puddle again. He had just gotten them in the tub, when I called to check in and let him know I was headed home. All I hear is:

(Screaming)"HEY. STRUGGLING....POOL OF URINE...SYD, PAIGE......." and the phone goes dead.

Oh. Crud. What is going on I'm thinking. Just wait. It gets better.

Ellie and I get home and two little girls are standing at the top of the stairs in their undies/diaper. One is still screaming, the other might as well be in Disneyland. She's having a blast. Haddon is standing in the hallway outside the bathroom rolling with laughter. There's a strong aroma of baked chicken and bleach. I can hear muttering and the sound of sloshing water. I cautiously approach the bathroom, and Joel is furiously mopping the floor with bleach. His phone is in pieces on the counter. It had fallen from his wet hands during my final call, and landed in, yep, you guessed it, the puddle.

Did I mention my hubby is a bit of a germophobe? He turns to me with a weak smile and says "That was quite possibly the most horrible 30 minutes I've ever spent alone with our children".

Being a Dad is such a hard job. (Seriously. It's hard!) My poor honey. Fortunately though, his phone is salvageable, I arrived just in time for him to take a shower, and dinner was absolutely delicious!!!

3 comments:

  1. So I have just one question.....Where was Haddon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I edited the story to include him - but apparently he really was just watching the whole thing unfold, and laughing all the way. He did help Joel corral the girls once they were out of the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL SOOOO FUNNY!!! Tell Joel to hang in there. One day he will look back on this and laugh! Tell Ellie we hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete