Last night at dinner, we were all laughing and joking around. Somehow the conversation turned to Santa...Gee, I wonder why? :) The kids didn't know that Santa is also known as Kris Kringle or Saint Nicholas. Haddon and Ellie were arguing, of course, over whether this was true or not. I started to point out that it was just like someone else we know of with many names...Wonderful, Counselor, Jehovah, The Mighty God, The Saviour. Ellie cut me off and said, "Yeah! Those are ALL names for Santa!!!" We all giggled about her confusion, but isn't it so true? He is the one who makes Christmas and gives THE gifts! Another opportunity to learn from my littles!
She's not too far off. Kriss Kringle is actually and Anglicized version of the German Christkindl, which means 'Infant Christ' who brings the gifts on Christmas Eve. In Germany, Saint Nicolaus actually brings something on December 6th. I did a presentation on this to some 2nd graders today, so I thought I would share a bit with you.
ReplyDelete