Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A conversation I had with Ellie on the way home from school yesterday:
Me: How was school sweetie?
El: Mom! My two friends were fighting over me today! (With excitement)
Me: Uh-oh. Who? What happened?
El: The one girl with the nice hair and the brown shirt, you know, my best friend...
Me: What's her name?
El: I don't know.
Me: But you said she's your best friend, and you don't know her name?
El: Nope. But she's my best friend. Anyway, she wanted to play with me, and the other girl with the necklace wanted to play with me too. So they started fighting.
Me: Oh, that's not good. Did you tell them you could all play together?
El: I didn't think of that...

I couldn't help but laugh over this. It's amazing how simple the world is through their eyes! Wouldn't it be nice if we could all go back to making 'best' friends in an instant without any preconceived notions? But then, I guess we would have the dilemma of which best friend to play with....

Our visiting teaching conference was this morning, and something one of the speakers talked about has resonnated with me since she said it. Do we take the time to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. The smile of a friend, the color of an exquisite fall flower, the thoughfulness of a stranger? I was at DI scoping out the goods in the as-is yard last week. I had found a homemade bunny costume for Sydney, a white linen dress to transform into a wedding gown for Ellie, and an orange fleece to make into a carrot for Paige, all for about $9.00. The kids and I were so happy. I was holding Sydney while pushing Paige in the cart, and Haddon and Ellie were hanging off the sides of the cart. I started to push the cart through the giant two-way doors back into the store, when a hispanic woman started pushing on the same door from the other side. And she would not let up. I found myself getting so frustrated. Didn't this woman know that you stay to the right? And couldn't she see that I totally had my hands full? I stepped back to let her come through the door, but the frustration must have shown. The lady obviously didn't speak english, but was persistent in trying to make eye contact and smile at me. I felt so guilty. I had assumed that she was just being rude, and here she was smiling at me. I'm grateful for Relief Society that reminds me regularly to be a better person. I guess I need to take some lessons from my littles and drop those preconceived notions!

1 comment: